Friday, March 14, 2014

More Wedding Attire, or Kvetch and Ye Shall Receive, Pt. II

HUGE SURPRISE ALERT: I'm putting a lot of thought into my wedding attire than most people (present company included) put into their retirement plans. 

This is not to say that people should pay more attention to their retirement plans, but rather that I should consider, you know, getting a life. But if that happened I'd have nothing to blab about, and how terrifying would that be? 

In another huge surprise, I decided to splurge and have a suit and shirt made for my wedding. A fully custom process was a bit out of my price range (well, way out of my price range given the fabric I selected), but this will still be a fully canvassed made-to-measure piece. Prepare yourself for a bit of geekdom and check out these fabrics:

The grey/tan plaid fabric at the top will be for my jacket and trousers, and the white with green check will be my shirt. Amazingly, it only took me about an hour to decide on these -I budgeted approximately three days- but I'm sure that's because I knew which bells and whistles I wanted in the first place. For example:

The suit fabric is from an English mill with a French-sounding name: Dormeuil (pronounced "door-may"). I went with an 8-ounce fabric, which is lighter than average and will be helpful when I'm outdoors in late August and sweating like a maniac anyway because I'm getting married. My original idea was to wear an odd vest with this get-up but practicality got the best of me and I decided it'd be best to not overheat myself.

Suit Details

  • Peaked-lapel, two-button jacket with hacking (slanted) pockets. Put a ticket pocket on there too, just because.
  • 1/8 lining on the jacket. This is another way to help keep you cool in warm weather: less lining means less heat will be trapped around your body. 
  • Side vents. Obviously.
  • Contrast-color stitch on some sleeve buttonholes. Not sure which yet.
  • A simple but significant name label.
The shirt is a beauty too. It's an 80's two-ply cotton (80 threads per square inch in a strong, wrinkle-resistant cotton) that will look ridonckulous (sp?) with this tie.

Shirt Details

  • "Cutaway" French cuffs. Think a less drastic version of this.
  • A simple monogram on the natural waist, right where Fred Astaire would have placed it.
  • Spread collar.
I think that I have to keep the whole look a surprise until the wedding day, so there won't be any pictures of finished product until Labor Day. Be on the lookout!



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is a forum for me and anyone else to discuss men's style, share ideas, and ask/answer questions in an adult, civilized manner. As such, any comments that deviate from these guidelines will not be published. Thanks for understanding, and I look forward to hearing from you.