Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dress to Incept




Since I'd been out drinking on both New Year's Eve Eve and New Year's Eve, I decided that it was a good idea to fall back last night and maybe not give myself a mild case of alcohol poisoning. I rented Inception, which basically kicks your mind in the apricots and then forces it to be engaged at a high level for two and a half hours. The movie is incredible, though, so it's worth it. Just be sure to detox with something reliably funny afterward; YouTubing Louis C.K. standup routines worked for me.

I would like to point out that just about every male actor in the movie was particularly well-dressed. I mean, we're talking Ocean's Eleven well-dressed. Suits were perfectly cut and color-coordinated, shirtsleeves and collars were so exacting in their standards that they had to be custom-made, and even sportswear was the epitome of what casual elegance should be: relaxed, but not at all sloppy or slouchy. On this last point, Mr. DiCaprio performed particularly well. A round of applause for you.

The real prizes, however, have to go out to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Cillian Murphy, and Ken Watanabe. These three look dapper as hell and fully understand what it is to wear a suit, not allow it to wear you. The pictures above barely do any of them justice. If you watch the movie, note Watanabe's pocket square/tie coordination. Pay attention to Gordon-Levitt's high shirt collars and the elegant authority that his three-piece suits (broken up or not) imply.

Finally, just watch Murphy. Literally every detail of his suit is correct; he's showing the proper amount of shirt cuff, his suspenders (yes, suspenders) are subtle and not tacky, his double-breasted jacket is side-vented and is tailored with the kind of precision that you can only get from custom clothing. The details shine most when Murphy is in motion; you can see how everything literally flows together to form a whole that's truly greater than the sum of its parts.

Just watch the dimples in those ties, gentlemen. You slipped a couple of times there.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly take notes at fashion everywhere you go! I haven't seen it yet, but I'll be sure to take notes on their clothing combinations! I'd also like to thank you. I've been lurking your blog for awhile, and I've taken in your tips to change my image, and as a high school junior, it's a big head start, and a huge improvement over my monotonous t-shirt, jeans, hoodie look that I've been donning before I even started middle school! The odd jacket and trousers, the importance of fitting clothes,and the Mr. Rogers post all convinced me to start breaking my monotonous, unprofessional and sloppy attire. I still consider myself a beginner with much to learn about men's fashion, but I just wanted to know you've made another person in the world look a little more baller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andy,

    Thanks for the kind words! I strongly suggest picking up a copy of "Dressing The Man" by Alan Flusser. It's the best foundation you can have for dressing well.

    Keep working on that wardrobe. Certain pieces will come and go, but if you build a decent one, it'll bring you years of pleasure. Trust me.

    Keep us posted on your progress!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete

This blog is a forum for me and anyone else to discuss men's style, share ideas, and ask/answer questions in an adult, civilized manner. As such, any comments that deviate from these guidelines will not be published. Thanks for understanding, and I look forward to hearing from you.